Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Sticky Biscuits? JUST ADD FLOUR!

I am unsure how I let this slip my mind.. but in conjunction with 'Her first Turkey... our first FULL Thanksgiving dinner!', I give you our "Best of Biscuit Disasters". And by disaster I mean a creamy, mucky pile of dough. This soused glob of flour was sticking all over my sister's hands. My solution: add more flour.

Paraphrasing, here's how our laughter of conversation went, with tears in eyes:

Me: [sifting flour over sister's hands from a spoon] here - you need more flour.
Sis: it's still sticky!
Me: [sifting more flour over sister's hands from a spoon] here - you need more flour.
Sis: It's not working.
Me: [gathering a heeping spoonful of flour on the spoon] Here....
Mom: NO!! Don't add too much flour! Those things are going to be like rocks!
Me: {dumps heeping spoonful of flour onto sister's hands} I think it's ok...
Sis: [lauging and rubbing her hands together like she's starting fire from rocks and sticks] it's still sticky.
Me: here - you need more flour.
Mom: STOP!! [laugh] you guys are going to have those things ruined!
Me: She needs more flour!
Sis: [laughing] -whispers- add more flour!
Me: [dumps heeping spoonful of flour onto sister's hands]
Mom: GIRLS! Enough flour! They are not going to be edible!

By this point, we are in tears laughing so hard. The biscuits were already "ruined" so... why not try to just duck-tape them? Sis begins to try to roll some balls for biscuits - still sticky.

Me: here - you need more flour.

{by this point we're doubling over laughing because our mother is about to have a mini-stroke, for the flour-overload in the biscuit batter}.
Sis: Put some on this one (as she hovers an oddly shaped ball of goo in front of me).
Me: [sifts flour over ball of goo] -wipes tears from eyes-
Sis: [pats ball of goo and places on the pan]

We do this, while laughing, for 7 or 8 additional goo-balls. Then, with worry of my mother's threat of these things being "like rocks" my sister melts some butter and covers the floured goo-balls to give some added moisture. Pop them in the oven and we hoped for the best!

In the end, they weren't like rocks - but I bet this is because of my sister's ingenious idea to slather on some butter. They were tasty! Duck-taping works, even in cooking.

Moral of the story: go with your gut. Laugh. And just add flour.



No comments:

Post a Comment