Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Beanie Weenie Casserole

I was over the moon about this recipe – and I finally had the girls (my two nieces) with me for the day/night so we went over to Wal-mart, grocery shopped and shot straight home so I could make this fabulous recipe for them to try! I could not locate Rachael Ray’s recipe ANYWHERE to save my life. However, I originally saw this on her 30-minute meals and vowed, for about a year, to make it.

The little snotfaces didn’t even taste it. WHAT CHILD turns their nose up to a hotdog? I was very disappointed! Albeit, more for me – nonetheless, still disappointing. They both eat hotdogs so I’m not entirely too sure what their little ‘tudes were about this wonderful dish..



- 1 package (8) hotdogs, cut into chunks (I use Chicken Franks – 40% less fat)
- 1 large can of Original Baked beans, half drained
- About 3/4 cup of hickory smoked (or original) barbeque sauce
- About 1/4 brown sugar
- 1/4 red onion (optional) – I grated it, you can dice it
- 1 clove garlic - grated (optional)

I like to “jazz” my recipes up a bit – therefore, I threw in the garlic and onion. This, of course, was after the mini-turd buckets wouldn’t eat my casserole. I also made a topping. This was inspired by the recipes I saw that had cornbread or cornmeal in the mixtures:

- About 1 cup of original bread crumbs
- About 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- About 3 tablespoons maple syrup (or Agave)

This is quick, cheap, simple, easy… throw everything in the first section together in a casserole dish and mix. For the topping, add your cheese to the bread crumbs and begin to add the syrup, one tablespoon at a time, mixing with a fork. You want it to be a bit crumbly to just top the franks and beans – “drizzle” it over with your fingers until you’ve covered the entire surface. Pop it in the oven at 375 degrees for 35 – 45 minutes (or until heated all the way through). I served this up with a quick mac’n cheese side (see Baked Macaroni and Cheese - my style) and a Sweet Wheat Roll. It was delicious, with or without gremlin approval. And I ate off the panda plate..

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like my kind of food - no veggies! ;) I love that you still ate off the panda plate. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHHHH so YOU are the one that is anti-veggie! I thought it was John - lol! I will keep that in mind and post something just for you!

      Delete